Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Why I Am


How it all went down... Back in late November of 2013, My dear dear friend Amanda and I were sitting in her living room, catching up and gabbing over a bottle of Ménage a Trois (a usual evening for us) when she brought up one of her close girlfriends experience in Alaska. I had rarely heard of women going commercial fishing so needless to say, I was intrigued. After all, it is still a very male dominated industry. Thus, my first “Aha!” moment. A woman in a man’s world. I should probably explain a couple of things so you can get a clearer picture here. I was raised 24 out of my 25 years in this world by my amazing Mother and 3 older Sisters after my Dad passed away just prior to my 2nd Birthday. Growing up with all women has had its many advantages and these ladies set the bar high for me. I continue to learn, admire and aspire to be as strong as these women. And how lucky am I that not only do I get to call these lovely ladies my Sisters, but my best Friends?


Sisters

My Mama


One thing my Mom always instilled in us girls was to not depend on anyone else for our happiness or comfort. In my brain "anyone" equaled a man. So, when this idea to go commercial fishing came to mind, I couldn't wait to hang with the big dogs, shoot the shit with the best of em’ and basically show myself I’m capable of whatever these flannel wearing, big bearded, sailor mouth men can do. After a couple of weeks of becoming infatuated with this idea, I knew I had to start putting my thoughts into actions and my money where my mouth was. Through a Doctor I work with, I met a man from Kodiak, AK named Joe who in just a matter of small time became such an important role and friend. Joe didn't know me from Adam but knew and understood my goal and wanted to help me achieve my success. We finally met in person in February 2014 where we exchanged a big hug and a plate of home-made brownies as a little way of saying thank you. (Can't go wrong with baked goods, right?) Joe could see the determination written all over my face and knew I was in it for the long haul. After a long chat, we shook hands and said “See you in Alaska.” Within a couple of weeks, I was put in touch with some friends of friends of Joe's friends (I know, confusing, eh?) from Kodiak, Alaska. I was told to “Call here, ask for this guy who will give you their contact info.” So, I did just that. Soon enough, I was put in touch with Captain Stan. After numerous lengthy emails and Skype sessions later, Stan hired me as a Deckhand on board the F/V Woody. And so it begins…

No comments:

Post a Comment